- The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program, a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring, similar to Adobe Photoshop, but running on X Window system on Unix/Linux platforms.
- HTML 4.01 is the document type used on this site (physics.nyu.edu).
- Java Standard Edition Platform Documentation at java.sun.com.
- A wonderful LaTeX manual in NASA.
- Debian is a free, or Open Source, operating system (OS).
- On www.linuxdoc.org.
- On www.wolfram.com, the creator of Mathematica.
- MathWorld is a convenient, comprehensive, and interactive mathematics encyclopedia intended for students, educators, math enthusiasts, and researchers. Like the vibrant and constantly evolving discipline of mathematics, this site is continuously updated to include new material and incorporate new discoveries.
- On www.mathworks.com, the developer of Matlab.
- On-line version of Martin V. Zombeck's Handbook of Space Astronomy &s; Astrophysics.
- Physical Reference Data at National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- GNU Manuals on Free Software Foundation site www.gnu.org.
- The default email reader on most NYU systems (SCIRES, IS, ...).
Online Dictionary Database Query at The DICT Development Group. It contains following dictionaries: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913); WordNet (r) 1.6; U.S. Gazetteer (1990); Jargon File (4.0.0/24 July 1996); The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (15Feb98); The Elements (22Oct97); Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary; Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary (late 1800's).
FreeBSD Hypertext Man Pages
Searches for man pages on many Unix-like systems (BSD, Linux, Unix, ULTRIX etc).
Sun Product Documentation
Sun Product Documentation (docs.sun.com) gives you online access to an expanding library of Sun technical documentation on both hardware and software products.